Saturday, December 13, 2008

home for the holidays

“ Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinions starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around”

-Hugh Grant, intro of Love Actually

---

There are few moments in real life that live up to their respective portrayal in movies. However, the cherished reunion with loved ones is one of those rare times where we mere mortals experience a corny picture-perfect moment come to life. After 9.5 hours on the plane (in an exit row seat, thank goodness!) + 30 minutes in customs + a 20 minute baggage customs security check + a 5 minute train ride to baggage claim + a 30 second escalator ride, I finally emerged from the depths, put on a smile, searched through the crowds for my parents' smiling faces...and there!...they!...weren't....

Okay...so maybe this reunion didn't follow the predictable script. But I never was the predictable type anyway. After walking around for a bit, making sure I didn't miss seeing my parents, I took a seat and watched the other happy reunions. I hope I didn't look too strange or invasive while I was observing (I did acquire a bit of a staring problem in Chile); however, I couldn't help but admire the pure joy on the faces of every couple and family that passed by.

Three minutes later, I glanced to my left and instantly spotted two familiar faces. Abandoning all my bags, I stood up and ran into my dad's arms. Those three extra minutes made the reunion all the better. Man does it feel good to be home. 

So I suppose this means that study abroad is officially over. 

I've been home for three days now. Time enough to collect my thoughts, marvel at American gems, miss Chilean quirks and just generally reflect on supposed reverse culture shock. Fortunately, things have gone better than expected thus far. 

My family is just as goofy and loveable as always. Some of the fears I had for next semester have been eased. Returning to long-lost cuisine like hummus, whole-grain bread, spinach and boneless skinless chicken breast has made my palate happy. And I've rediscovered a closet full of clothes that didn't make the cut for my two suitcases that I've lived with for five months.

In patagonia, I reflected for a while on how to briefly summarize my stint in Chile. Came to the conclusion that it is both impossible and unfair to briefly summarize the entire experience. I'll try my best to give a nice little elevator speech to those who ask for it; however, I'll remain incredibly grateful for those dedicated few of you who have read along as I've longwindedly outlined the numerous twists and turns of this semester.

Thanks for reading. Will update in the future should any reverse culture shock epiphanies/Chilean longings/future travels come about. In the mean time, please keep me updated on any travel adventures of your own! These kinds of memories shape who we are and are best when shared :)

Besitos,

Lindsay

No comments: